Tuesday 5 June 2007

Spring Cleaning

(Aileen)
I feel like I’m in a rut. Or at least on the downward swing of a roller coaster. After 4 months of intensive toiling in India for work, then 2 weeks of traipsing around Vietnam for play, I am now back in London, unstaffed and not really sure what to do with my time, feeling a little bit unconnected to reality, and a little unsure about what our “life” in London really is.

We moved to London a little over 2 years ago. Since then we haven’t actually been in London much. For a little over a year I worked up in Edinburgh. Once that was over I moved straight into a role that had me out near Manchester, and then in India for a significant chunk of time. Whenever we can we’ve also tried to travel as much as possible around Europe checking cities off our list of places to visit.

So here I am, not completely “rooted” in London, unsure about what the future holds. Should I invest the time/energy towards getting connected e.g. join a gym, join a club, work harder at meeting new people, only to be uprooted again if my next assignment flings me to another far off place?

I think for starters, some spring cleaning is in order. I can:
• Reconnect with old friends - With all the flitting about, I’ve been absolutely atrocious at staying connected with friends and family. And this is probably one of my main reasons for starting this blog.
• Tie up a whole host of odds and ends – things I really need to do but haven’t really gotten around to e.g. US taxes, visit the doctor to have a nagging cough looked into, visit the dentist etc. Also, our flat was burgled while we were in Vietnam and that’s presented a whole new variety of odd and ends e.g. insurance claims, security system installation, door replacement. Fun stuff.
• Start lists –lists of things I need to do, list of places I’d still like to visit, lists of short and long term goals, lists, lists, and more lists
• Give our flat a nice thorough cleaning incl. getting rid of accumulated clutter

Looks like a pretty chunky list. Now if only I can get my ass off the sofa.

No comments: